I’m putting in a lounge fire, in the form of a contained log burner.
These are the rules I’ve found regarding a hearth.
- Stricter rules if a stove into a fireplace recess Vs a freestanding stove.
- Freestanding stove rules (NOT in a recess):
- assumes stove is independently certified not to heat the hearth underneath it to more than 100 degrees centigrade;
- 12mm thick non-combustible superimposed hearth onto the floor
- Minimum size 840mm x 840mm
- Minimum 150mm each side and behind the stove
- Minimum 225mm in front of the door. Best practice is 300mm.
If it’s a stove going into a fireplace recess, also look at http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-hearth-size.html.